Foothill College Academic Senate Minutes
December 8, 2003; 2:30 – 4:30 pm, Room 6712

Called to order at 2:36

Minutes for the November 17 and November 24 meetings were unanimously approved.

General Information:
Senator Priscilla Butler will be leaving Foothill College.  Richard Morasci will take her place.  The Senate thanks Priscilla for all her contributions.

Paul reminded all Senators that the $1.00 stipend on the December pay stubs is for Senate service for the fall quarter.

Consent calendar was approved with the following changes:
Rosemary Arca will not be serving on George Beers’ administrative review committee.  
Karen Gillette will not be serving on Julio Rivera’s TRC.

Action Items:
E-Documents:  Both hard copy and electronic versions of all Senate activities will be available to the public.  The Senate President will request that all documents submitted to the Senate as official business in hard copy format will also be submitted in soft-copy (electronic) format whenever possible.  The Senate President will inform presenters / guests that documents submitted to the Senate will be distributed electronically to the Senate’s constituents.  The Senate will maintain a document (files) archive for faculty and Senate with these documents in read only format.

FA:  In order to keep close communication, the Senate will invite a representative from the FA to present to the Senate each month, or more frequently as time and situations demand.  Approximately 10-15 minutes will be allotted for such presentations.  The Senators agreed unanimously to include FA on the agenda for future meetings.

Information Items:

Roundtable update:  Paul Starer discussed that President Fong presented lists and procedures for programs under consideration for elimination, and that an educational resources meeting would be held in the near future to further discuss the issues.  There is a drastic reduction planned for PT faculty offerings in the next academic year.  Approximately 60 positions are to be eliminated (this includes FT faculty overloads).  In addition, the district faces a fine if the FT:PT faculty ratio is not adhered to, therefore 23-25 FT faculty positions need to be filled within the year.  Positions may be lost due to bumping due to new hires (esp. and DeAnza) and with a RIF.  More will be known next quarter.

Budget:  Verley O’Neal presented information from the Budget meetings (meets every other Tuesday):  Projected Fund 14 deficits are approximately $12.7M.  This is the best case scenario assuming no mid-year cuts and presuming revenues remain flat with no increase in state support from last year’s budget.  The current charter of this committee
is twofold:  Come up with clear numbers of budget, and where money can be saved, and to request that all members of the college come up with more ideas for saving money (or generating revenue) and send to chancellor’s advisory board.  Many items were discussed, however some are non-negotiable because they are state mandated (parking fees, malpractice and health insurance, etc).  

Creative writing FSA:  The creative writing faculty in the Language Arts Division would like to create a new FSA.  This has already been approved by the Language Arts division, and is now before the Senate for discussion.  Any person wanting to qualify for this FSA must meet all the minimum qualifications for an FSA (education, experience, etc).  The Senate agreed to the creation of this FSA.  Next steps:  Ask DeAnza to consider this FSA.  If the DA Senate agrees, then the district and FA are consulted, with the final determination negotiated between the district and the FA.

Class Lists Follow-up:  Andrew Fraknoi discussed the issue further, and wishes that this item be tabled until next quarter.  The FH Registrar seems to be planning a firmer approach to payment of fees (by 1/16/04) and determination of class lists for the Winter ’04 quarter.

Academic Integrity:  Karen Gillette and Dolores Davison-Peterson presented information regarding Academic Integrity, handling of issues relating to the honor code, and due process.  Issues of academic integrity and violations of the honor code have been increasing, especially with the increase in electronic media and devices.  Concerns have also been raised over how these offenses have been handled, the role of the Office of Student Affairs, role of the Deans, the processes utilized for communication with all concerned parties and the conduct of the hearings.  Due process concerns were also raised with separation of administrative sanctions from academic sanctions, issues of confidentiality and privacy.  In addition, the academic integrity brochure (hard copy) differs from that available on-line, therefore which is binding during a hearing?  Senators  have been asked to discuss these issues with their divisions and to report back on the following items:  a)  Is due process working?  b)  What recommendations should be made?  c)  What issues should be focused on in the future?
 Karen Gillette then discussed further the current process, the members of the panel convened for hearings.  Clearly, the need for clarification of due process needs to be established and adhered to.  
In addition, Paul Starer would like to approach the Dean of Student Affairs office for consideration for changing the levels of punishment for honor code violations, especially concerning when hearings are convened.   Methods to increase awareness of academic integrity and the honor code were also addressed, including involving student government, the Orientation class, staff development seminars.  The committee needs to consider recommendations.
All of the above recommendations, comments and suggestions need to be collected by Senators and reported upon at the second meeting in January (1/26/03).

ETAC 508 Compliance:  Wayne Chenoweth from DeAnza discussed this issue, which concerns accessibility for all students to all educational materials.  This is a state law, unfortunately it does not receive adequate funding.  Specifically, 508 compliance states that all videos need to be closed captioned (“CC”).  Therefore all videos currently in use need to be submitted for closed captioning (if they are not CC).  New videos for purchase need to be CC, if not, state funds cannot be used to purchase them.  There is a special purchase page that needs to be submitted with all video purchase requisitions.  Difficulties arise because not all vendors clearly indicate CC status.   Senators need to convey this to their divisions.

Committee Members needed:  

Paul Starer thanked all Senators for their hard work.

The meeting adjourned at 4:26

Respectfully submitted:
Maureen Mac Dougall