The major in English is excellent preparation for careers in law, teaching, advertising, journalism, communications and business administration. Most positions in modern institutions and industries require excellent skills in writing and reading. This major provides students with those skills along with a breadth of cultural and historical knowledge through the study of great literature.
Program Learning Outcomes
• Students will be able to compose a thesis-based essay that clearly communicates a logical, evidence-supported argument.
• Students will demonstrate, in writing, comprehension and critical analysis of college-level texts.
Units required for Major: 29
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26, or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 57, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (17 units)
• Support courses (12 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a GPA of 2.0 or higher is required in all Core and Support courses.
AA = Associate in Arts Degree.
Core Courses: (17 units)
ENGL 1B Composition, Critical Reading & Thinking (5 units)
or ENGL 1BH Honors Composition, Critical Reading & Thinking (5 units)
and THREE of the following:
ENGL 46A Monsters, Madness & Mayhem: English Literature from Its Earliest Beginnings to Milton (4 units)
ENGL 46B Reason, Rebellion & Romanticism: English Literature from 1660-1830 (4 units)
ENGL 46C Wars & Wastelands: English Literature from the Victorian Period to the Present (4 units)
ENGL 48A The Nature of American Literature: 1492-1864 (4 units)
ENGL 48B American Literature in the Gilded Age: 1865-1914 (4 units)
ENGL 48C Modern American Literature: 1914-Present (4 units)
Support Courses: (12 units)
Select THREE* courses from the following:Academic Year: 2014-2015Current status: ApprovedLast update: 2014-05-09 16:29:21
ENGL 1C Advanced Composition (4 units)
or ENGL 1CH Honors Advanced Composition (4 units)
ENGL 50C Technical Writing (5 units)
CRWR 6 Introduction to Creative Writing (5 units)
CRWR 39A Introduction to Short Fiction Writing (5 units)
CRWR 41A Poetry Writing (5 units)
ENGL 5 Gay & Lesbian Literature (4 units)
or ENGL 5H Honors Gay & Lesbian Literature (4 units)
ENGL 7 Native American Literature (4 units)
or ENGL 7H Honors Native American Literature (4 units)
ENGL 8 Children's Literature (4 units)
ENGL 11 Introduction to Poetry (4 units)
or ENGL 11H Honors Introduction to Poetry (4 units)
ENGL 12 African American Literature (4 units)
ENGL 14 Traveling the World Through Contemporary Literature (4 units)
ENGL 16 Introduction to Literature (4 units)
ENGL 17 Introduction to Shakespeare (4 units)
ENGL 18A Vampire Literature: Multicultural Representatives of the Bloodsucker (4 units)
ENGL 24 Unmasking Comics: The Dawn of the Graphic Novel (4 units)
ENGL 31 Latino/a Literature (4 units)
ENGL 40 Asian American Literature (4 units)
or ENGL 40H Honors Asian American Literature (4 units)
ENGL 47A World Literature I (5 units)
ENGL 47B World Literature II (5 units)
* At least two courses must be Literature courses (identified above with an asterisk); the student has the option of taking all three required courses from the identified Literature courses.
View another Program.