PDF option temporarily offline
Spanish is the language of the majority of the countries of the western hemisphere. It is also the fastest growing language in California. If you plan to work in the health industry, education, the law or public service, knowledge of Spanish is an invaluable asset. A degree or a certificate in Spanish is a great way to expand your career opportunities.
Program Learning Outcomes
• The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Spanish, using the appropriate language for any given situation.
• The student will, by presenting research, demonstrate knowledge of Hispanic society, culture, and politics.
Units required for Major: 46
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26 or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 57, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• All Foothill General Education requirements (30 Units)
• Core courses (30 units)
• Support courses (16 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a GPA of 2.0 or higher is required in all core courses for the degree.
AA = Associate in Arts Degree.
Core Courses: (30 units)
SPAN 1 Elementary Spanish I (5 units)
SPAN 2 Elementary Spanish II (5 units)
SPAN 3 Elementary Spanish III (5 units)
SPAN 4 Intermediate Spanish I (5 units)
SPAN 5 Intermediate Spanish II (5 units)
SPAN 6 Intermediate Spanish III (5 units)
Note: For students who can demonstrate proficiency equivalent to one year of college Spanish, SPAN 1, 2 and 3 may be waived.
Support Courses: (16 units)
SPAN 13A Intermediate Conversation I (4 units)Academic Year: 2013-2014Current status: ApprovedLast update: 2013-07-03 09:13:24
SPAN 13B Intermediate Conversation II (4 units)
SPAN 14A Advanced Conversation I (4 units)
SPAN 14B Advanced Conversation II (4 units)
SPAN 25A Advanced Composition & Reading I (4 units)
SPAN 25B Advanced Composition & Reading II (4 units)
SPAN 10A Spanish for Heritage Speakers (5 units)
View another Program.