California Nonresident Tuition Exemption (AB 540)
For Eligible California High School Graduates
AB 540 is a California law that allows all students who qualify, including undocumented students
to pay in-state tuition fees at all public colleges and universities in California. AB 540 is not a
path to adjust the immigration status. However, undocumented students may be eligible for the
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).
- The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
- The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent
prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School
- Undocumented students must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that
he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will
file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
- Students who are non-immigrants (for example, those who hold F [student] visas,
B [visitor] visas, etc.) are not eligible for this exemption.
- The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with
the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described
above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential
unless disclosure is required under law.
- Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California
public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required)
to each college under consideration.
- Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of
nonresident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents.
They continue to be "nonresidents."
- Beginning January 1, 2013, AB540/undocumented students will be eligible for state
financial aid. This includes Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), Board
of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW), and Cal Grant. However, they do not qualify for federal
Procedures for Requesting This Exemption From Nonresident Tuition at Foothill College
Click here for step-by-step instructions to complete the
Foothill Application for Admission as AB540.
For questions or assistance with this process please call (650) 949-6964 or
Top of page
Last updated: April 15, 2013