Welcome to the Foothill College
Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program
Offered in collaboration with
Institute for Research in the Social Sciences (IRiSS), Stanford University
How to Apply
Application for the Social Science Internship is still open for 2015-2016.
To apply, please complete the following steps by Friday, Oct. 2.
- Social Science Online Application Form:
Foothill students must complete the application for Social Science internship.
- Letter of Recommendation Form:
The letter of recommendation should be completed by a faculty member, who recommends
the applicant for the Social Science internship.
The Social Science Research Assistant Internship Program matches Foothill College
students interested in social science research and careers with volunteer internships
at social science research labs at Stanford University. You will serve as a research
intern with graduate and postdoctoral researchers in psychology, sociology, psychophysiology,
education, communications, and other social science related disciplines.
- Must be 18 years old or older.
- Successful completion of one quarter of participation in the Foothill-Stanford Research Experience Program (REP) in a participating Foothill social science class.
** Please talk to the instructors in the psychology and/or sociology departments if you are unaware of the social science classes that offer REP.
- Ability to dedicate a minimum of 3 hours per week to a maximum of 15 hours per week at the discretion of your internship supervisor. Finals week and college holidays are excluded. For summer internships, a minimum of 6 hours per week is required.
- Ability to provide your own transportation to the internship.
- Ability to participate for three consecutive quarters (fall, winter, spring) for the Academic Year Internship, or 9 weeks for the Summer Internship.
- Be enrolled at Foothill College during the internship period (Summer quarter excluded).
- A current resume with all work experience, formal education and training
(PDF or Word Format)
- A paragraph describing your research interests in social science
- Unofficial transcripts for completed courses (PDF or scanned image)
Please refer to Myportal
to access your transcripts.
- One faculty letter of recommendation.
Faculty should use this form.
Timeline for 2015 - 2016 Academic Year Application Process
Academic Year RA Interns (Apply in Fall 2015)
- Application open: Monday, Sept. 14, 2015
- Application, resume, & recommendations due: Friday, Oct. 2
- Interview period: Oct. 7 – 19
- Deadline to receive offer Oct. 19
- Deadline to accept offer Oct. 21
- Internship period: Oct. 21, 2015 - May 27, 2016 (Fall-Winter-Spring)
NOTE: Internships may be extended into the following Summer Quarter. Internship period June 20 – August 26, 2016 (Summer).
Indicate on application whether you are applying for Academic Year ONLY or for Academic Year + SUMMER. You must be enrolled in the community college during the academic year.
Summer RA Interns (Apply in Spring 2016)
- Applications open: Friday, April 22
- Application, resume, & recommendations due: Friday, May 6
- Interview period: May 11-23
- Deadline to receive offer May 23
- Deadline to accept offer May 25
- Internship period: June 20 - August 26, 2016 (Summer)