If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you will need to apply for it, since U.S. federal law requires everyone employed in the U.S. to have an SSN. You must file your application for an SSN immediately after being offered a job. There is no fee charged for an SSN application.
SSN Application Procedure
Please note that it will take about two weeks to receive the Social Security Card. However, it may take up to eight weeks if the Social Security Administration has difficulty obtaining verification of your immigration status from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Gather the required application materials:
- Follow steps 1-3 in Procedure Before Starting On-Campus Job: Without SSN and obtain two letters verifying your employment and valid F-1 status one from your department/office and one from the International Student Office.
- Current Foothill I-20, passport, visa and I-94 card (originals).
- Apply for a Social Security Card in person at the following office:
Social Security Administration
700 East El Camino Real, Suite 350
Mountain View, CA 94040
Hours: 9 a.m. 4:30 p.m,. MondayFriday
View Larger Map
- Complete Form SS-5 to apply for a Social Security Card. In item # 3 you should mark the box for "Legal Alien Allowed to Work."
- Bring your SSN card to the Financial Aid office to be added to Foothill's payroll.