Online Course Quality Criteria
Consider using the following criteria to review online courses for quality.
- Do the course materials represent substantive content equivalent to or surpassing the content a student would be introduced to in an onsite course?
- Does the content seem appropriate for the subject being taught?
- Is the content likely to be clear to learners and faculty who access it?
- Do the materials present significant concepts and skills for the discipline?
- Do the course materials make it clear what the learner is expected to do to successfully progress through the content.
- Are the teaching and learning goals easy to identify?
- Are expected student learning outcomes clearly stated?
Design and Usability
- Do the lessons provide clear progression steps and intuitive navigation paths?
- Does the content utilize effective instructional design and learning principles?
- Do the course materials support learning by providing a variety of activities and experiences that encourage active engagement with the course content?
- Are there opportunities to measure prerequisite skills, assess that learning is taking place, and apply knowledge or skills presented?
- Do the course materials utilize authentic and multiple methods of assessment to measure student learning?
- Does the content require a lot of additional skills, technical support, and/or other instruction for most students to successfully use the material?
- Is the content presented in ways that would be attractive to students
Interactivity and Community
- Does the design of the course material encourage frequent student-student, student-faculty, and student-material interaction?
- Are there ongoing opportunities for collaboration, group problem solving, discussion of assignments, and sharing of ideas?
Use of Multimedia
- Do the course materials include multiple forms of media and is the multimedia used in ways that advance learning?
- Are clear instructions provided for accessing multimedia? (i.e. plug-ins, players)
- Do the course materials include external online resources in relation to activities and lessons to enhance the learning experience?
- Can pages be downloaded within a reasonable period of time even without a broadband connection?
- Does the use of (interactive) multimedia improve faculty and students' abilities to teach and learn the material
Developed by Vivie Sinou
iPhone Mobile App
Last Updated September 12, 2014