Applying for Financial Aid
Applying for financial aid is free and convenient.
STEP 1: Complete one of the following applications and include the Foothill College school code 001199 on your application:
- If you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov
- If you meet the qualifications of Assembly Bill 540 (AB540) and are not a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, complete the California Dream Act Application at dream.csac.ca.gov.
- Important: To be eligible to apply for an Entitlement Cal Grant, be certain to submit your FAFSA or Dream Application by the March 2 priority deadline.
STEP 2: The Foothill College Financial Aid Office receives your FAFSA or Dream Application. Foothill will then e-mail you instructions to log into your MyPortal account. Once you've logged in, click the "Financial Aid" tab to review your application status. If you see red-flag icons, click each one to download remaining required forms.
- Once you've logged in, click the "Financial Aid" tab to review your application status.
- If you see Red Flags they can mean one of three things:
- We have not received the form
- We have received it, however not yet reviewed it
- It is incomplete (which you will need to contact us to know the reason)
- You can find your specific status; you will need to click on the BIG RED FLAG on the top right hand side labeled "requirement messages".
- If you see * Green Checks it means that the requirement has been fulfilled
- * If you are turning in Appeals it can also mean that your application has either been approved or denied. You will need to click on the requirement message for the specific status.
STEP 3: Complete and submit remaining required forms to the Foothill College Financial Aid Office. Please allow two to three weeks for Foothill to process your financial aid forms.
STEP 4: Periodically access your MyPortal account to review your application and award status. Make sure to reapply each and every year. The 2017-18 FAFSA will be available starting October 1, 2016.
- Once you have submitted all forms, you can check what you are awarded by clicking on the dollar sign that is labeled "Financial Aid Awards". For any other information like, holds or academic progress, you can go to the right hand side and look under the "Important Links" section where you can also find your status and awards.